Friday morning, I was about to launch into a loaf and got cold feet. The starter looked reasonably bubbly but I wasn't sure, so decided to give it one more feed. Removing half and about to discard it, it occured to me that it was an awful waste and that anyway, I may get to making the loaf and realise that I didnt have enough starter to bake with and have some left to keep the starter going. Some of those reading may at this point recognise the train of thought that leads to a garage full of junk and not being able to find anything!
|Day 9 - Morning Split & Fed||Day 9 - Lunchtime - both bubbling!|
So rather than throw it away, I got another jar out of the cupboard and fed the discard 100g flour, 100ml water. I also fed the other one so we now have two starters. One in reserve. By lunchtime both were bubbling away like ... well ... fermeting sourdough. Time to bake!
I have scaled down Paul Holliwoods first recipe to 150g Starter, 250g Strong White Flour, 115ml Tepid water and 5g Salt. All of that went into the bowl, mixed up and kneaded. A very sticky dough so took PH's advice and used olive oil on the worktop to stop it sticking. Popped it into a clean bowl (greased with olive oil) and left with cling film over the top to prove for 3 hrs. In the meantime I stoked up the Esse ready to bake.
|Day 9 - 150g Starter||Day 9 - 250g Flour||Day 9 - Ready to Nead|
|Day 9 - neaded and bowled||Day 9 - Stoke up time!||Day 8 - 3hrs later risen for the 1st time|
|Day 9 - Risen Again!||Day 9- Onto the floured tray||Day 9 - 45mins later - a loaf!|
|Day 10 -Slices well, good texture but a bit enemic||Day 10-Sourdough Toast|